Posted: March 17th, 2016
JOHN PRINCE, former assistant news editor on the Daily Mirror in Manchester, died last Friday, March 11. His funeral will take place at 10.45am on Wednesday, March 23, at the Stockport Crematorium, Rowan Chapel, Buxton Road, Stockport SK2 6LS.
JOHN PRINCE was a reporter and then an assistant news editor on the Daily Mirror in Manchester, and was for many years a Saturday night shift gipsy on the Sunday Mirror. He was also an excellent and enthusiastic footballer.
He was another casualty of the Maxwell wipe-out of the Mirror Northern operations, but was quickly snapped up by the Manchester Evening News as their district man in Stockport. He also covered football on a Saturday for one of the national Sundays. (With thanks to ALASTAIR McQUEEN.)
EDDY RAWLINSON writes: Having worked with John when he was a reporter and on the same desk for many years, I remember his ability as a newsman, and that wonderful smile which would calm down any angry situation. RIP Princey.
From MIKE McCARTHY: I only knew John on the newsdesk but he was clearly a formidable reporter. Brian Crowther told me that he and John had done the Brady-Hindley background together and for several months, off the rota, they met every morning and again every evening to compare notes. Myra Hindley had 40+ children in her primary school class and they traced all but two. They reckoned they had the best and fullest background of any paper, but when the trial ended, Cudlipp said too much had been done on it – and it was spiked. RIP John.
A SERVICE for BOBBY BETTS has been arranged by his family on Friday, July 31, followed by a wake.
In a recent wide-ranging financial press report, which included some grim news on job losses at Reach, the company stated: “Delivering for …
We posted this outstanding example of top-class journalism in June 2020, following the death of forces’ sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn. The caption …